Saturday, March 15, 2003

I Hate My Job


(This is my third draft of this entry.  Both of the first two were too long and probably would have got me in trouble at work if someone chanced upon this page, even though I said nothing about project names, people, or ship dates.  I’ll may still get in trouble just for expressing this at all; so be it.)

My job is not fun these days.  Fuck that, it isn’t even moderately enjoyable.

I get yelled at by my manager for coming in a few minutes late (not that there’s not a time clock to punch).  I’m made to feel guilty for not coming in every weekend.  The team has been missing deadlines, something which inevitably turns back on Quality Engineering later to make up the time, although we didn’t cause it.  Some on the team have said how little they care about the project (and you can include me in that), and you can hear the edge of snapping at people in the voices of others in meetings.  And over the top of it all, one of the recipients of our project’s output has said their group is “this close” to ripping our code out, which would cause all the others to abandon us, too.

I’d say there’s at least a 50/50 chance we’ll all be canned (“reallocated internally”, if we’re lucky) by this time next month.  (Of course, we just missed another deadline on Friday.  There’s probably a 10% chance that our group will get axed by the end of the week.)

I sure wish the market was good enough that I could afford to look elsewhere.



Updated on June 26, 2010
The company here was Adobe Systems, and the project was a piece of what eventually became Creative Suite.

Things did turn around on that project somewhat by 2004, although other major process issues cropped up to the point where I got severely dinged by a bad review around the start of 2005 and was eventually laid off that December.  As I understand it, the project was eventually killed in later 2009, although after releasing several versions as part of Creative Suitee.  One of my teammates left in 2006, another got laid off at the end of 2009, and I don’t know about the others.

I've been much happier since leaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment