Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Eggs Benedict


Doesn’t that look yummy?

It sure was.

And it turned out to be awfully easy.  I’ve tried a few egg-poaching gadgets over the years, but none have worked very well.  (Anyone ever try one of those microwave egg poachers?  What an explosive disaster that was!)  But I picked up a pair of poachpods a couple weeks ago and presto, they just work.  I can now make my own Eggs Benedict whenever I want.  (Okay, I’m using Hollandaise from a mix at this point.  I’ll tackle that for real someday soon.)

Which means now I get to experiment.  I’ve already done them with pepper bacon rather than Canadian bacon, but how about replacing the English muffins with artichoke bottoms like California Kitchen in San Mateo used to do, or pepper grits like Cape Fear Café in Duncan Mills did?  (Alas, the first of those is long gone, and Bennies are no longer on the menu of the second.)  How about spicing the inside of the poachpod, maybe with some chili sauce?  Mmm.

Oh yeah, the potatoes were easy, too.  Peel, season, fry in bacon grease, cover and let cook down while doing the Bennies, add catsup.  Nom nom nom.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment