Monday, September 19, 2011

Movie Review
    — Zoolander


The only thing redeeming about Zoolander was that the previous movie I watched was The Devil Wears Prada, a far more realistic, funny, and enjoyable movie about the fashion industry.  Many people over the years have told me how good this was, but I think they need their heads examined.

(Then again, many people like sitcoms, but almost every time I watch one, I can’t fathom most of the appeal.  They usually just aren’t funny.  Like with the movie A.I., I pull out of the show and listen to the music or the laugh track and see how those things lead the audience to what is intended to be funny, even when it isn’t.  It reminds me of the final episode of Ellen, which had no laugh track, and which was made that much funnier/deeper by people who told me they didn’t get it because of that, that they didn’t know what was supposed to be funny.  Boy that’s sad.)

Back to Zoolander, though…
  • Fashion models are goofy, inept, and vapid.  Yup, got it.
  • Fashion designers are goofy, inept, and warped.  Check.
  • Anything else?  Nope.
(Okay, I did like the scene at the gas station, replayed with the statue at the end.  That was twisted.)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment