Monday, August 3, 2009

Europe 2009: Berlin (Sunday, August 2)


Another night of fitful sleep.  I was coughing some on Saturday, but it has definitely turned into my full-on recurrent bronchial infection thing.  Probably mostly caused by too many late nights, but the rain squall in Copenhagen on Thursday probably helped it along as well, and there has been a lot more cigarette smoke here in Berlin, especially at Kellerloch last night.

I toodled around Schöneberg again today, but surprisingly to me, very little was open.  Probably 90% of the shops were closed.  I wonder if this is a legal (even religious law) thing in Berlin, or if Sundays are just not typically a good day for business?

I eventually headed up to the huge Tiergarten park (“Animal Garden”, not sure if that signifies the zoo or the forest).  Schöneberg is a little south of it, and tourist attractions like the Reichstag, Berlin Wall Museum, and Holocaust Memorial are at the far east end.  At the center is the Siegessäule (Victory Column), with a huge gold statue of the angel Victoria on top, commemorating the formation of nation states which eventually became Germany.  I climbed all the way to the top, where I could see most of Berlin, and counted steps all the way back down: 291 to street level.  Exhausting.

Later, I took the U-Bann out to Prenzlauer Berg, to the bar Stahlrohr 2.0.  (2.0 because it had moved a few years back.)  Several of the guys from the Kellerloch party were there again.  After a few hours, feeling tired and dealing with my cough (asthmatic bronchitis, not contagious, never has been; I get this a couple times a year and have for my entire adult life), I headed back to the hotel.  Had roast chicken and Greek salad at a corner restaurant; one of the best meals of my life, I swear, meaning I was way hungrier than I thought.

I was very tired at this point, and struggled to get my bags packed to be able to leave at 9 am the next morning.



Updated on February 23, 2010

Updated on May 18, 2010
Moved part of this post to the Sounds Kinky-er blog:
http://soundskinkyer.blogspot.com/2009/08/europe-2009-berlin-sunday-august-2.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment